Using a recipe from Deliciously Ella’s cookbook, today I cooked this tasty Sweet Potato and Courgette stew for dinner. I am always experimenting with this recipe and have used different veg every time. Today, I swapped chickpeas (from the original recipe) for broccoli stems, although feel free to add both if you have them in your fridge! This nutritious recipe is a beauty, and one of my favorites to make on a rainy day. It’s healthy and filling, so I just had to share it on my blog.
Sweet Potato and Courgette Stew
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Courgette
- Broccoli Stems
- 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Tin Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Hot Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- Olive Oil
- Peel the Sweet Potatoes, wash them, and cut into cubes.
- Fill water into a pan, and boil on the cooker. Once the water has boiled, place the temperature onto a medium heat and add the Sweet Potatoes. Simmer for around 15 minutes.
- Whilst waiting for the Potatoes, chop the onion, and peel the garlic cloves. You can either chop, or crush your garlic.
- Place another pan onto the cooker, drizzle some olive oil all over, and put on medium heat. Add the chopped onions, garlic (I grate my Garlic into the pan), and season with salt. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the onions and garlic are soft, it's time to add in the spices! Add in some Cumin, Hot Paprika (normal also works like a dream), Chilli Flakes, and ground Coriander. At this point, the Sweet Potatos should be tender. Drain them, and add to the pan of veg. Cook for 5 minutes, allowing the ingredients to soak up the spices.
- Add in the Coconut Milk, tinned Tomatoes, a splash of apple cider vinegar, and some maple syrup for the sweetness! Bring to the boil, and then reduce the tempertature to low. Leave to simmer for roughly 30 minutes.
- Finally, add in the Courgettes and Broccoli Stems. You can even add more veg in if you want to. Previously I have added in baby Sweetcorn, Spinach, and Kale. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Whilst waiting, I microwave some wholegrain rice and Quinoa. But you can enjoy this dish on its own.